Friday 2 August 2013

Native Sacred Teachings



Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way

Great Spirit, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an 
open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in 
silence.

“Man’s law changes
with his understanding of man.
Only the laws of the spirit
remain always the same.”

“When you were born,
you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so that when you die,
the world cries and you rejoice.”

There is an ancient Indian saying~ Something lives only as long as the last 
person who remembers it. My people have come to trust memory over history. 
Memory, like fire, is radiant & immutable while history serves only those 
who seek to control it, those who douse the flame of memory in order to put 
out the dangerous fire of truth. Beware these men for they are dangerous & 
unwise. Their false history is written in the blood of those who might 
remember & seek the truth.
Floyd 'Red Crow' Westerman

Native American isn't blood. It is what is in the heart. The love for the 
land, the respect for it, those who inhabit it, and the respect and 
acknowledgement of the spirits and elders. That is what it is to be Indian.
White Feather, Navajo Medicine Man

Sacred Feathers...Feathers in hair for Native Americans had a spiritual 
meaning. They were worn by Native American Chiefs to symbolize their 
communication with the Spirit, and to show off their divine wisdom. 
Feathers also represented the power of the thunder gods, along with the 
power of air and wind. Sometime feathers were representative of courage 
during a battle or a successful hunt. — with Monica Colomar Sarrio.

"My grandfather is the fire
My grandmother is the wind
The Earth is my mother
The Great Spirit is my father
The World stopped at my birth
and laid itself at my feet
And I shall swallow the Earth whole
when I die and the Earth and I will be one
Hail The Great Spirit, my father
without him no one could exist because there would be no will to live
Hail The Earth, my mother without which no food could be grown
and so cause the will to live to starve
Hail the wind, my grandmother for she brings loving, lifegiving rain
nourishing us as she nourishes our crops
Hail the fire, my grandfather for the light, the warmth, the comfort he 
brings without which we be animals, not men
Hail my parent and grandparents
without which not I,nor you,nor anyone else could have existed.
Life gives life which gives unto itself a promise of new life
Hail the Great Spirit, The Earth, the wind, the fire
praise my parents loudly for they are your parents, too
Oh, Great Spirit, giver of my life
please accept this humble offering of prayer this offering of praise
This honest reverence of my love for you."

"Pray for us Grandfather we have forgotten the instructions of how to live on 
earth."

As I walk the trail of life in the fear of the wind and rain,
Grant O Great Spirit that I may always walk like a man.

You can take one arrow and break it in half.But if you take twelve arrows in 
a bundle,it is almost impossible to break any of them.There is strength in 
UNITY.

When we are together we are very powerful.This is the way the ancestors told 
us we need to be.STRONG.We need to unite ourselves.This is why the Elders 
say,when we make decisions,we must first consider the good of the people.If 
every person in the community thinks this way,then we will always make 
strong decisions.
Creator,let my decisions have the strength of the bundle.
~Tecumseh,Shawnee~

"Please forgive us and forgive our forefathers. Help us to live in peace and 
harmony once again. Oh Creator of All Things, take the violence and anger 
from our hearts."

There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unkown, secret place.
The old people came literally to love the soil,and they sat or reclined on 
the ground with a feeling of being close to a mothering power.
Their teepees were built upon the earth and their altars were made of earth.
The soul was soothing, strengthening, cleansing and healing.
That is why the old Indian still sits upon the earth instead of propping 
himself up and away from its life giving forces.
For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply
and to feel more keenly. He can see more clearly into the mysteries of
life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him.
~ Chief Luther Standing Bear ~


We smudge to clear the air around us. We smudge to clean our minds so that 
we’ll have good thoughts of others. We smudge our eyes so that we’ll only 
see good things in others. We smudge our ears so that we’ll only listen to 
good things about others. We smudge our mouths so that we’ll only speak of 
good about others. We smudge our whole being so that we may portray the good 
part of ourselves through our actions. -Native tradition

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.”
? Michelangelo

This is what life does to us it keeps chipping away the unnecessary to 
reveal the essence.

Anger makes you smaller, 
while forgiveness forces you
to grow beyond what you were

The Creator seldom, gives me what I want
But gives me what I need.
I ask for wealth, He gives me health-
For love, He gives me seeds.
"Go sow the seeds",
He seems to say,
And love will grow for you,
And health will be the wealth you need
To share the love you grew."

And when I pray for worldly goods
And comforts of a king,
He fills my heart with little joys,
For simple, common things;

And when I beg for things I see-
Of envy to my mind-
He guides my steps to happy souls
Who are completely blind.

So, now, I just come unto
Him In simple, humble prayer
with a faithful heart I ask
what can i do for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment